Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Catching Up Part 2- Colt Christian Miller




So here's my baby story. My due date was January 4th and I had had an ultrasound on Dec 20 to see how big he was getting. I really want to do a vbac this time around. I didn't have a hard recovery with Ty's c-section but I really didn't want to feel limited. I know they don't let you even try a vbac after 2 c-sections and there are more risks with each kid you have. I didn't want to feel limited in how many kids we might be able to have. Anyways my doctor and I had been discussing the since we first met so that is why we had an ultrasound at 38 wks. At 38 wks he was measuring 7lbs 8oz. A good size baby. That's bigger than alot of newborns. But I was happy because that is actually small for my family. Anyways I had an appt set on my due date and I figured if I hadn't gone into labor before then they would set up and inducement date. My doctor was actually out of town that week (of course) so i met with her associate. He really didn't want to induce me, despite what my doctor said, so he told me that he would wait until I was 41 wks and then take another ultrasound to see if a vbac was even possible. I came home pretty depressed because knowing the size of babies in my family and knowing that Ty was 9lbs 3 oz at 41 weeks, waiting that long probably would give me no chance for a vbac. I called back that day and pretty much complained enough that they set me up for an inducement date for Jan 6th.
Ironically, I didn't need that because at 5:00 am, an hour before I was to go to the hospital, my water broke. I started having contractions at 5:30 and headed for the hospital. They put me on a little pitocin at 8:00 am and I got an epidural somewhere around being dilated to a 5 at 12:30ish. It took me just over an hour to get from a 6 to a 10 but we had to wait for my doctor (doctor's associate) to get there. So at 2:30 I started pushing and at 2:53 pm on January 6th Colt Christian Miller was born. I would say I would prefer vaginal delievery to c-section. I know there are risks to having a vbac but there really was no reason to worry. Every thing was as smooth as could be. Ty was an emergency c-section because he was wrapped up in his cord so tight. Colt didn't have any part of it wrapped around him. I'm just glad I was able to have a vbac and that my body went into labor by itself. Colt was born at 8lbs 14oz and 21 1/2 inches long. He was healthy with no problems or worries at all.

3 comments:

  1. I loved reading your birth story. I'm so glad you were able to do a vbac with Colt and that everything worked out as you wanted. I"m just a little jealous. :) He is a cutie and we hope you guys are doing well. Miss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your family photo! SO cute!!!
    I knew you were due soon so I kept checking to see if your blog had been updated lol.. So glad your delivery went well. Both boys are adorable!
    Love to you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is a big baby! He looks so much like Ty to me. Congrats on the VBAC, that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete